As many of our customers know, we have this great service called Direct Access. It allows customers to download transactions automatically if their bank doesn’t support the OFX (aka Direct Connect) protocol. Needless to say, this service has been very popular amongst our customers. I personally use it for most of my accounts.
Unfortunately, as many of our customers also know, Direct Access has been behaving quite poorly recently. It started with occasional sluggishness on the weekends. Then we began to find that a user might experience a timeout error on almost any update. As soon as we started to hear about the first errors we began investigating. Unfortunately, troubleshooting a live, production server isn’t always easy. We tried tweaking many settings and over the course of the degraded service period, we doubled the server’s capacity, confident that such a move would resolve the issue. Nope, the errors still kept happening. During this time we were also working with our backend connectivity provider to see if the issue was on their servers. After some great troubleshooting sessions, we finally narrowed it down to some of the code on our server. Once we finally got a better scope of the issue, our Direct Access server engineers implemented a fix and we got it deployed.
Now I’m happy to say, as of this morning (Thursday, May 8) Direct Access is faster than it has ever been. With our code fix and improved server capacity, downloads are happening much, much faster.
I want to give an apology to the people that experienced poor performance, and as a way of saying “thanks for your patience,” we are giving every Direct Access user’s account an additional 30 free days of the service.
Latest posts by Ian Gillespie (see all)
- State of Banktivity Part 4: New and Intuitive Navigation - October 24, 2016
- State of Banktivity: Part 3, Search - June 8, 2016
- State of Banktivity: Part 2, The Report Ahead - April 15, 2016